Sunday, May 16, 2010

blue valentine


Some how I missed this? It hasn't come out yet. It's just at Cannes right now- so it will probably be a while- buuut oh geeze I want to see it. I've liked Michelle Williams since her Dawson's Creek days (which by the way I have like every season- sad I know, but sometimes i crack them out just to see Pacey's face haha)

But then I read this:
"Before this festival actually began, Derek Cianfrance's Blue Valentine was pegged as one of the "hot" acquisition titles of 2010. And then, as so often happens here, the film screened, and the proverbial word on the street changed. Valentine slipped from the center to the margin of the general sales conversation, not because it disappointed--in fact, it's probably the most passionately loved film of the festival amongst the cadre of journalists and indie industry persons with whom I spend my evenings drinking--but even those who love it admit that there's no confusing Blue Valentine with an easy sell, and in fact, there may be no way to sell the film at all at a lower altitude. The initial buzz must have come from an ignorant extrapolation of what little was known about the movie. Blue Valentine may be a flashback-heavy, tear-jerking romance starring Ryan Gosling, but it's sure as shit not The Notebook."
" I was so seduced by Valentine's final moments, but the more I think about it, the more my affection sours.Valentine wilts under any attempt to strenuously wrestle with it. Call it a case of blue balls. "

I'm seeing it anyway.




3 comments: